awards season is always met with mixed emotions. red carpet...thrilling. four hour broadcast of awards i don't care about to watch the one award i do care about...mind-numbing. regardless, i always watch, if not just to see who gives the most train-wreck acceptance speech or who trips on their 6 inch tranny heels while walking out to give an award (i'm looking at you, Eva Longoria!). obviously, the looks are front and center for me. last night i tweeted a blow-by-blow of the red carpet for two hours (sorry to my followers who don't care about fashion...), and here are my picks, best and worst, of the night.
1. Natalie Portman (Viktor & Rolf, Swarovski details): i was so worried Natalie would go safe on us, but she went for it last night! this dress is risky...it's an unexpected color, an unexpected designer, and the rosette detailing will garner it's fair share criticism..but the entire look worked so well on Portman, who is expecting her first mini this summer. the cut was flattering on her ripening shape, the jewelry (Tiffany's) was beautiful, and her big chignon was super chic. her win for best actress in a drama was well-deserved, and she wins best dressed too! way to WORK IT, mama!
2. Julianne Moore (Lanvin): everyone HATED this but i'm obsessed. Julianne Moore has been rocking Lanvin pretty religiously for the past three months at all of her premiers and other awards shows, and i literally screamed out in excitement when i saw her strut onto the red carpet in this last night! first of all...hot pink is brilliant. it worked so well with her coloring. i love the one sleeve (especially since the one sleeve is hugely accentuated!), and i love the jeweled necklace woven into it. this dress is FASHION. i am so glad she didn't go with something safe, but instead took a risk and went with something fierce. i love Lanvin & Alber and i love Julianne Moore (she is a true fashionista. she wears a look, the look doesn't wear her!). perfect pairing. my only regret is that girl didn't have a steamer in her car...the wrinkled silk is unfortunate but she rocked that dress so hard, the wrinkles barely registered.
3. Anne Hathaway (Armani Prive): Anne looked like a tall, bubbly glass of Moet last night. the entire look was flawless, head to toe, front to back. this dress was completely backless, but the long sleeves balanced the showing of skin, and the puffed shoulders are genius. and can we talk about how bangin' Anne's bod looks?! girl has been hitting the gym, no doubt! her hair fit the look, and the entire look fit her personality. quirky, sexy, unexpected, and sparkley. a huge hit for Miss Hathaway. i'm so looking forward to her costume changes when she hosts the oscars!
4. Emma Stone (Calvin Klein Collection): i was the most excited to see what Emma Stone would wear on the red carpet and she did not disappoint! Emma seemed most likely to take a risk, and she showed up in this beautiful dreamsicle colored, minimalist sheath by Calvin Klein (Fransisco Costa). i prefer Emma as a red-head, but the blonde hair is actually very striking on the tall Easy A actress, and it worked with the dress. she kept her everything simple with just a Van Cleef and Arpels ring and a chic, clean chignon for her hair, but my favorite aspect of this look is the short sleeves and the open back of the dress. SO CHIC. she looks young, fresh, and fabulous...just like any first time golden globe nominee should!
5. Olivia Wilde (Marchesa): ugh i'm so torn here. the dress is obviously out of control gorgeous...the shoes (Christian Louboutin) are INSANE, but her hair..argghh! if you're going to make that kind of statement on the red carpet...why stop at your shoulders? this look is so disjointed for me..but i cannot deny the genius of that Marchesa dress, nor of the shoes...but honey..something better should be going on with your hair. the bangs and the otherwise boring blowout look to be an afterthought...and with that kind of glamour, nothing should be an afterthought. it's still in my top five because that dress is next level..but ugh. i get it, she didn't want to look TOO fussy, but seriously..give me this dress and i'll show you how to work an updo that is still leaves the dress feeling edgy and cool!! (helps that my hairstylist actually does work for Marchesa? maybe? but no really...i could work this dress with some serious hair...).
Heidi Klum (Marc Jacobs) & Seal: Heidi in this Marc Jacobs SS11 runway dress is a dreammmm. it looks so fresh on her, and is such a departure from normal red carpet, yet somehow it works on her. she looks california cool, and seal looks FAB in his leather (faux leather? not sure what that is?) suit with two-toned wingtips. LOVE THIS. best couple!
BEST DARK HORSE
Helena Bonham Carter (Vivianne Westwood): YES. all day long... TEAM BELLATRIX. mismatched shoes, bird wing bustline, crazy hair...YES YES YES!!!!
Best Dressed Cast: The Kids Are Alright. Annette Bening in Tom Ford, Julianne Moore in Lanvin..YES PLEASE.
Best Use of Crazy: Christian Bale. he was rocking a serial-killer chic look last night, and i LOVED IT.
Honorable Mentions: Angelina Jolie (Versace), January Jones (Versace), Mila Kunis (Vera Wang), Catherine Zeta Jones (Monique Lhuiller), Annette Bening (Tom Ford), Jayma Mays (Alberta Ferretti), Tilda Swinton (Jil Sander), Piper Perabo (Oscar De La Renta), Leighton Meester (Burberry), Amy Adams (Marchesa)
1. Jennifer Lopez (Zuhair Murad): JLo...the icecapdes called, and they'd like their bedazzled cape back please. i'm so confused by this look, i don't even know. she is such a pretty woman..but this did not work for me. the white dress would have been fine..unremarkable but fine, but then the weirdly thin little spaghetti straps and the bedazzled poncho/cape thing? disaster.
2. Jennifer Love Hewitt (Romona Kaveza): this looks like a bad prom dress that got in bed with a tacky wedding dress and gave birth to...that. and then also spawned a huge, giant, disastrous ballerina bun on top of her head. i'm sure it's not, but the fabric looks cheap, the beading at the waistline is SO bridal tacky, and the hair is so 80's prom.
3. Christina Aguilera (Zuhair Murad): honey, just because you were in a movie about "classy strippers" doesn't mean you have to dress like...this. i know Christina is embracing a fuller figure lately, which is great, but the cut of this dress does NOT flatter said figure....in any way, shape, or form, and her hair looks tired, even though it's looking better than it has been (yikes, that's saying a lot). absolutely nothing about this look works.
4. Halle Berry (Nina Ricci): i know some people liked this, but i hate it. up top is okay, it's a little bustier-looking for my tastes in eveningwear, which i could overlook if the bottom of the dress wasn't such a disaster. it literally looks like a mini-dress that Peter Copping threw some extra chiffon on at the waist, criss-crossed it, and called it a gown. Halle is a beautiful woman with an incredible body, but this dress made her look cheap. she's done so much better.
5. Julie Bowen (Tadashi Shoji): i don't even know who Julie Bowen is..but i know this dress is all kinds of wrong. pleats, ruffles, rosettes...whoaaa baby. detail overload! there is so much going on here, it's like the designer had ADD when he was making it and couldn't decide if he wanted to go with micro-pleats, dropped, loose ruffles, or rosettes...so he just said...screw it, let's do all three! while the fit and shape of the dress is very pretty, the color is a total washout and the details just weigh it down.
Worst Dressed Cast: Glee. Everyone was wearing weird neutrals and blush tones that did absolutely nothing for anyone's skin tone, and everyone just looked boring. way too safe, way too washed out. they may have won best comedy/musical televisual (love you, Tilda!) series, but better luck next year on the red carpet, Glee kids.
Most Disappointing: Nicole Kidman in Prada and Michelle Williams in Valentino. ladies, i expected soo much more.
Worst Shoes: Justin Bieber. i don't care if you're 16...sneakers aren't appropriate for the golden globes.
Scariest Bangs: Sandra Bullock. how could she even see what was going on?
okay...who's excited for the grammys and the oscars?!